Medial Branch Blocks
What are medial branch blocks?
A medial branch block is a type of spinal injection to temporarily block the pain signals coming from the medial nerves. Medial nerves run through the facet joints. Facet joints are joints in your spine that allow for movement between vertebrae. A medial branch block can provide relief, but is mostly used as a diagnostic tool to determine the source of your back pain.
what conditions can ankle injections help with?
- Back pain caused by the medial nerves
how does it work?
A medial branch block usually follows these steps:
- Monitoring. Your vitals will be monitored to ensure there are no concerns your doctor should be aware of before the procedure.
- Sedation. Typically, you’ll be given a sedative to calm anxiety and relax muscles.
- Positioned face down or on your side. This will provide the best access for the injection.
- Local anesthesia [ann-ess-TEE-see-uh] administered. This usually causes the most discomfort during the procedure and is described as a mild stinging or burning sensation.
- Injection occurs. This lasts just a few seconds and usually can’t be felt because of the anesthesia.
- Recovery. You’ll be observed for a period of time after the injection to ensure there are no complications.
Risks associated with medial branch blocks
Most injections carry a risk of bleeding or infection, a possibility of allergic reaction, or risk of nerve damage from injection in the wrong location. However, these complications rarely happen.
Short-term side effects of a medial branch block might include some numbness if the injection spreads into the surrounding area. The injection site might also be painful or tender to the touch. Occasionally, patients who receive a medial branch block complain of headaches or insomnia after injection, but these issues should go away in a few days.
Please visit our providers page to learn more.
“I was looking for a Social Media Course to expand my career horizon. A friend of mine suggested to learn from Steve’s online courses and it really worked for me.”
Flora BakerNew York
“A fantastic and very engaging course. All of the information offered by Steve was completely practical, relevant and presented in an easy, digestible and interesting way.”
“This course was a breakthrough in my knowledge of digital marketing. The content is comprehensive and of great quality, engaging and interactive.”
get an appointment