Back To Pain Management Services
Ganglion Impar Nerve Block
What is a ganglion impar nerve block?
What conditions can a ganglion impar nerve block help with?
how does it work?
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT AFTER THE PROCEDURE?
What is a GANGLION IMPAR NERVE BLOCK?
The ganglion impar block is used to evaluate and treat anorectal pain (anus and rectum), perineal pain (space around the genitals) and genital pain. The ganglion impar is a collection of nerve cells next to the tailbone (coccyx) that may be involved in long-lasting (chronic) pelvic or anorectal pain. By injecting numbing medicine (local anesthetic) around the nerves the cause of your pain can often be identified. Once identified some patients may benefit from repeat injections, sometimes with steroids.
what conditions can ganglion impar nerve blocks help with?
- Anorectal pain (anus and rectum)
- Perineal pain (space around the genitals)
- Genital pain
how does it work?
The procedure is performed on an outpatient basis in a procedure room equipped with a special x-ray called a fluoroscope.
1. While lying on your stomach you will be connected to monitoring equipment (EKG monitor, blood pressure cuff, and blood oxygen monitoring device). The skin over your lower tailbone will be cleansed with an antiseptic soap.
2. Numbing medicine will be injected into your skin. This will cause a burning sensation for a few seconds.
3. The doctor then directs a small needle toward the target group of nerves.
4. Once it is correctly positioned a special dye may be injected to confirm the position of the needle. The anesthetic medication will then be injected
What should I expect after the procedure?
- Many people experience immediate relief from the injection.
- If a steroid is used it may take several days before it starts working.
- If you have soreness in the area of the injection use an ice pack.
- Some possible side effects include: reaction to medication (rare), bruising or
pain at the injection site, flare up of typical pain, temporary numbness or
Please visit our providers page to learn more.
“I was looking for a Social Media Course to expand my career horizon. A friend of mine suggested to learn from Steve’s online courses and it really worked for me.”
Flora BakerNew York
“A fantastic and very engaging course. All of the information offered by Steve was completely practical, relevant and presented in an easy, digestible and interesting way.”
“This course was a breakthrough in my knowledge of digital marketing. The content is comprehensive and of great quality, engaging and interactive.”
get an appointment